Coconut oil offers many Amazing benefits for your hair
Coconut oil has been said to be one of the best, if not the best, ways to take care of your hair on this planet. For good reason, it works! I’ve seen the effects first hand while on the Pacific Islands and I’ve taken it upon myself to spend countless hours on the subject.
Through diligent research I’ve come up with some information that will change the way you think of hair treatment and products forever,
Coconut oil conditions your hair from within.
Coconut oil penetrates your hair shaft and seals in moisture. It not only seals in the moisture but it protects your hair follicles from the environment.
Anti-Fungal and Anti-Bacterial Properties
Coconut oil’s strong anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties protect your scalp against lice and dandruff. Thus ensuring that they are not around to hinder hair growth. Coconut oil is also great on your skin.
Improves Blood Circulation in the Scalp
Improved blood circulation is made possible by massaging the oil into your scalp. This ensures hair follicles receive the required nutrients to allow for strong and healthy hair.
Lauric Acid Binds Hair Proteins
Lauric acid protects the root of hair strands to prevent them from breaking. Lauric acid prevents hair protein loss and promotes a head of healthy hair.
Full of Nutrients
Coconut oil is packed full of nutrients such as vitamin k and vitamin e. These nutrients are very effective at destroying dandruff and also promoting your hairs softness and shine.
The Best Method of Using Coconut Oil for Your Hair
Prior to shampooing you should apply a generous amount of coconut oil to your scalp. Rub it gently and ensure that it covers your entire scalp. Continue to massage your scalp for 4-5 minutes and then change your focus to your hair strands. Apply to your strands and let sit for 25-30 minutes. You can keep it in longer if you’d like, For severely damaged hair you should leave it in for a couple of hours if possible.
If you’d like to skip that step and save some time then it is highly recommended to mix coconut oil into your shampoo. Aim for a mixture of 50/50
After shampooing, for people with really dry hair, it is recommended to add a little bit of coconut oil to the tips of your strands. Keep in mind that if your hair is protein sensitive then you should skip this step.
Coconut Oil Hair Tips
- If you stay in an environment that is below 76 Fahrenheit then you should warm it before use as it will be in solid form. Do not apply hot though as it can potentially damage your hair.
- Do not overdue the amount of coconut oil you put in your hair if you’re using it as a pre-wash treatment. It can leave the hair greasy.
- As a dandruff treatment you can massage a small amount of hair into your scalp and let it stay in overnight. A shower cap is recommended so it doesn’t end up on your pillow.
- Avoid over-brushing your hair. Your hair can become damaged with excessive brushing.
- Avoid hair straighteners. They’re commonly used but are one of the most damaging things that you can do to your hair.
- Let dry naturally. Blow dryers wreak havoc on your hair.
If you have any coconut oil hair tips please leave them below in the comment section.